Definition of sinistral in English:
1.2 Geology Relating to or denoting a strike-slip fault in which the motion of the block on the opposite side of the fault from an observer is toward the left.
- This paper tentatively identifies two lineaments and a fault that may relate to sinistral strike-slip faulting in the pre-Paradox Formation basement beneath Upheaval Dome.
- Although data on vertical displacement on the Klima fault zone are limited, the horizontal component is clearly much larger, and the Klima fault zone represents a sinistral strike-slip fault.
- In conclusion, the geological characteristics of the South China Sea cannot be explained by a pull-apart model involving a releasing bend of a sinistral strike-slip fault.
1.3 Zoology (Of a spiral mollusk shell) with whorls rising to the left and coiling in a clockwise direction.
- If the umbilicate side is directed downward and the flat side upward, this gives the impression the shell is sinistral or a left-handed spiral, because the aperture when held toward the observer is on the left.
- These gastropods have slender, high-spired, multiwhorled shells bearing a sinistral protoconch and were united by Knight in the family Streptacididae.
- The latter species has a smooth, valvatiform, dextrally coiled teleoconch and a sinistral, anastrophic (coaxial heterostrophic) protoconch.
- Example sentences
- There is no trend from dextrality to sinistrality, but rather large clades characterized by one form or the other, sometimes with large-ish subclades of the complementary type.
- Further evidence that species-level sinistrality originated in environments where predator-induced selection is weak comes from the biology of living left-handed species.
- Such selection is inimical to the evolution of traits like sinistrality that, at least in their early stages of development, are accompanied by mildly deleterious side effects.
- Example sentences
- Both species described here are sinistrally coiled, but a similar pattern of ornamentation is present on two Pennsylvanian species that are dextrally coiled.
- The outer shell surface of both sinistrally coiled species of Crassimarginata is ornamented by distinct costae, but the dextrally coiled shells of Yukonoconcha seem to be smooth.
- The sinistrally transtensional Louisburgh Basin contains PrIdolI fluviatile sediments and, probably, dates the end of transpressional deformation.
Definition of sinistral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan