Definition of sinistral in English:
1.2 Geology Relating to or denoting a strike-slip fault in which the motion of the block on the opposite side of the fault from an observer is toward the left.
- This paper tentatively identifies two lineaments and a fault that may relate to sinistral strike-slip faulting in the pre-Paradox Formation basement beneath Upheaval Dome.
- Although data on vertical displacement on the Klima fault zone are limited, the horizontal component is clearly much larger, and the Klima fault zone represents a sinistral strike-slip fault.
- In conclusion, the geological characteristics of the South China Sea cannot be explained by a pull-apart model involving a releasing bend of a sinistral strike-slip fault.
1.3 Zoology (Of a spiral mollusk shell) with whorls rising to the left and coiling in a clockwise direction.
- If the umbilicate side is directed downward and the flat side upward, this gives the impression the shell is sinistral or a left-handed spiral, because the aperture when held toward the observer is on the left.
- These gastropods have slender, high-spired, multiwhorled shells bearing a sinistral protoconch and were united by Knight in the family Streptacididae.
- The latter species has a smooth, valvatiform, dextrally coiled teleoconch and a sinistral, anastrophic (coaxial heterostrophic) protoconch.
- Example sentences
- There is no trend from dextrality to sinistrality, but rather large clades characterized by one form or the other, sometimes with large-ish subclades of the complementary type.
- Further evidence that species-level sinistrality originated in environments where predator-induced selection is weak comes from the biology of living left-handed species.
- Such selection is inimical to the evolution of traits like sinistrality that, at least in their early stages of development, are accompanied by mildly deleterious side effects.
- Example sentences
- Both species described here are sinistrally coiled, but a similar pattern of ornamentation is present on two Pennsylvanian species that are dextrally coiled.
- The outer shell surface of both sinistrally coiled species of Crassimarginata is ornamented by distinct costae, but the dextrally coiled shells of Yukonoconcha seem to be smooth.
- The sinistrally transtensional Louisburgh Basin contains PrIdolI fluviatile sediments and, probably, dates the end of transpressional deformation.
Definition of sinistral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.