Definition of siphon in English:
1A tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord. Once the liquid has been forced into the tube, typically by suction or immersion, flow continues unaided.
- In the extinguisher, a plastic siphon tube leads from the bottom of the fire-suppressant reservoir to the top of the extinguisher.
- Keep a syphon tube in the boot incase you need to make a quick refill.
- Not one to waste time, I unscrewed the gas cap and slipped the siphon tube into the tank.
1.1 Zoology A tubular organ in an aquatic animal, especially a mollusk, through which water is drawn in or expelled.
- The way the siphon directs the water stream controls the animal's forward, backward, and sideways movements.
- To detect prey, a cone snail uses its siphon, an organ that takes up water and directs it over the gills.
- These animals are also more capable of avoiding coral overgrowth by greatly elongating their siphons.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Draw off or convey (liquid) by means of a siphon.
- If straining methods do not adequately filter out the fine particles and sediment from the liqueur, try siphoning off the clear liquid.
- You can recycle bath and washing water by using the garden hose to syphon the waste water onto the garden.
- The simplest solutions like siphoning the washing water onto the garden are the most effective in the long run.
1.1Draw off or transfer over a period of time, especially illegally or unfairly: he’s been siphoning money off the firm
More example sentences
- He then began to illegally siphon his money from US bank accounts to offshore tax havens through a series of ingenious shell companies.
- The Government wants to siphon funds off and transfer them elsewhere.
- False claims of up to £1,000 a year appear to have been siphoned into fraudsters' bank accounts.
- Example sentences
- The port protector caps have a wick-type design to assure water passage through the siphonage drain lines.
- A loud sucking noise in the piping of a fixture indicates that there is a siphonage action which needs correction.
- If the hose is connected with an airtight joint, provision should be made to prevent syphonage.
- ( Zoology )Example sentences
- Although similar in shape, with a relatively short siphonal canal, and with fine spiral and thicker axial ornamentation, the two genera differ in several respects, and are probably not closely related.
- The new genus Pentzia does not belong in Buscyon because Pentzia lacks the shallow sulcus that lies obliquely across the columella at the posterior end of the siphonal canal.
- Cardinal fossula normally deepens towards cardinal side of coral lum, essentially siphonal in tabularium and septal in inner marginarium.
Words that rhyme with siphonhyphen
Definition of siphon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan