Definition of Sitka spruce in English:
A fast-growing spruce tree of the northern Pacific coast of North America, widely cultivated in Britain for its strong lightweight timber.
- Picea sitchensis, family Pinaceae
- The forests of the Pacific Northwest and northern California are known for giant ancient trees such as Sitka spruce and sequoia (redwoods).
- The Octopus Tree, an ancient Sitka spruce with massive branches that rise up around a low central trunk like the arms of a candelabra, is a five-minute walk from the parking lot.
- Forests of mostly Sitka and Norway spruce are felled.
Late 19th century: named after Sitka, a town in Alaska.
Definition of Sitka spruce in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.