Definition of skipjack in English:
1 (also skipjack tuna) A small tuna with dark horizontal stripes, widely distributed throughout tropical and temperate seas. Also called bonito or ocean bonito.
- Katsuwonus (or Euthynnus) pelamis, family Scombridae
- About 80 percent of exports consist of frozen, dried, and salted skipjack tuna; canned fish; dried shark fins; and fish meal.
- Skipjack is said to be very healthy and robust, and skipjack tuna is targeted mainly by the long line and the purse seine fishery.
- There, the commercial fishermen patiently wait every year for the annual migrations of albacore, skipjack, yellowfin, big-eye and bluefin.
3A sloop-rigged sailboat with vertical sides and a flat V-shaped bottom, used chiefly on the east coast of the US.
- Their motor-less sailing boats are called skipjacks, and are allowed to fish for oysters freely.
- The backyard slopes down to a cold blue finger of Puget Sound, where Miller keeps his favorite toys - a skipjack, two kayaks, and a 47-foot yacht.
- In the winter, many of the local watermen use hydraulic tongs to catch oysters, and a few skipjack boats continue to work out of Wenona harbor.
Definition of skipjack in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan