Definition of skipjack in English:
1 (also skipjack tuna) A small tuna with dark horizontal stripes, widely distributed throughout tropical and temperate seas. Also called bonito or ocean bonito.
- Katsuwonus (or Euthynnus) pelamis, family Scombridae
- About 80 percent of exports consist of frozen, dried, and salted skipjack tuna; canned fish; dried shark fins; and fish meal.
- Skipjack is said to be very healthy and robust, and skipjack tuna is targeted mainly by the long line and the purse seine fishery.
- There, the commercial fishermen patiently wait every year for the annual migrations of albacore, skipjack, yellowfin, big-eye and bluefin.
3A sloop-rigged sailboat with vertical sides and a flat V-shaped bottom, used chiefly on the east coast of the US.
- Their motor-less sailing boats are called skipjacks, and are allowed to fish for oysters freely.
- The backyard slopes down to a cold blue finger of Puget Sound, where Miller keeps his favorite toys - a skipjack, two kayaks, and a 47-foot yacht.
- In the winter, many of the local watermen use hydraulic tongs to catch oysters, and a few skipjack boats continue to work out of Wenona harbor.
Definition of skipjack in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.