nounchiefly • historical
- A small round wooden box used to preserve documents and seals.More example sentences
- The Seal, made of green beeswax and placed in a metal box called a skippet, hung like a pendant from the document.
- From the scroll are suspended the officer of arms’ wax seals in their brass skippets.
- The object attached by the braided cord, called a skippet, contains the seal of the French government impressed in wax.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
More definitions of skippetDefinition of skippet in:
- The British & World English dictionary