- 1A person who slates roofs for a living.More example sentences
- Tony stared off in the building trade and quickly settled into work as a roof slater.
- There Naismith worked, as best he could given his poor health, as a plasterer and slater.
- Sangster, a retired slater, added: ‘The girl at the stonemason's yard was a bit taken aback when I told her the stone was for me.’
- 2A wood louse or similar isopod.
More example sentences
- Several species in the order Isopoda. See also sea slater
- A few Crustacea (slaters or sow bugs) even live on land, usually under old logs and leaf litter.
- I could also see large marine isopods, looking like giant marine slaters, and some flower-like sea lilies (crinoids, a group of echinoderms related to starfishes).
- Visitors have viewed many types of spiders, beetles and slaters under bright lights and microscopes.
More definitions of slaterDefinition of slater in:
- The British & World English dictionary