(also slave-maker ant)
Definition of slave-making ant in English:
An ant that raids the nests of other ant species and steals the pupae, which later become workers in the new colony.
- Several species in the family Formicidae, in particular the European Formica sanguinea. See also amazon ant
- But unlike parasitic slave-maker ants, which raid and virtually destroy the colonies of unsuspecting hosts, L. minutissimus appears to move in and live amiably with its host.
- Without presuming to answer the question, he demonstrated how natural selection works to refine instinct in such cases as slave-making ants or hive-making bees.
- The slave-making ants go to the nest of another ant-species to rob pupae, which are carried back.
Definition of slave-making ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.