(also slave-maker ant)
Definition of slave-making ant in English:
An ant that raids the nests of other ant species and steals the pupae, which later become workers in the new colony.
- Several species in the family Formicidae, in particular the European Formica sanguinea. See also amazon ant
- But unlike parasitic slave-maker ants, which raid and virtually destroy the colonies of unsuspecting hosts, L. minutissimus appears to move in and live amiably with its host.
- Without presuming to answer the question, he demonstrated how natural selection works to refine instinct in such cases as slave-making ants or hive-making bees.
- The slave-making ants go to the nest of another ant-species to rob pupae, which are carried back.
Definition of slave-making ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan