Definition of slime mold in English:
A simple organism that consists of an acellular mass of creeping jellylike protoplasm containing nuclei, or a mass of amoeboid cells. When it reaches a certain size it forms a large number of spore cases.
- Division Myxomycota, kingdom Fungi, in particular the class Myxomycetes; also treated as protozoan (phylum Gymnomyxa, kingdom Protista)
- Multiple rows are observed in the glaucophycean algae, some red algae, chlorophycean and ulvophycean green algae, the slime mold Dictyostelium and the tunicates.
- The slime mold's simple life cycle and the ability to grow large numbers of cells easily, together with the possibility of genetic manipulation, make it an attractive system for developmental study.
- The nematode is clustered with the acellular slime mold, the cellular slime mold, the malaria parasite, and the dysentery amoeba.
Definition of slime mold in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia