Definition of slip stitch in English:
1(In sewing) a loose stitch joining layers of fabric and not visible externally.
- Another thought on knitting socks, consider using a slip stitch fabric (slip, knit, slip knit, etc) for your toes, at least the top.
- It took me about 4 weeks to finish, I actually had to rip half of the front because I had finished it, but I hadn't realized that I had made the ‘slip stitch edging’ wrong (ok, I hadn't made it).
- The crunch stitch is a combination half double crochets and slip stitches alternating back & forth.
2 [often as modifier] Knitting A type of stitch in which the stitches are moved from one needle to the other without being knitted: a slip-stitch pattern
More example sentences
- The pattern was taken from Knitters Magazine Summer 2005 edition and it's a slip stitch pattern.
- Tuck in the seam allowances of the lining and slip stitch the opening closed.
- To give a better finish and a lacy look to the dress, stitch slip stitches around the arms and neck with a wire of contrast shade.
verb(slip-stitch) [with object] Back to top
Sew or knit using slip stitches.
- Optionally the hand slip-stitching may extend all the way or may not through both front-shaped portions.
- The edges of the ruffle are slip-stitched by hand in order to give an era-appropriate look.
- The top portion and the veils were cut as a single piece, slip-stitched to the outer lining of the hood.
Definition of slip stitch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan