Unimportant; minor: a small-time gangster
More example sentences
- The crooks range from small-time gangsters to big-time drug traffickers and international terrorists.
- Ten years later, Rikidozan was killed by a small-time gangster, with a tanto, in a bar.
- But Michael Rebell was never the small-time lawyer, with only a desk and a shingle, that some made him out to be.
petty, unimportant, insignificant, inconsequential, minor-league
informal penny-ante, piddling, two-bit, bush-league, picayune
- Example sentences
- Large businesses don't care so much about regulation - medium-large ones can eat the cost, supersized ones can finagle the regs so that the rules actually favor them - but small-timers have neither money nor pull.
- Whatever the proximate causes in such situations, fundamentally the problem is that small-timers with their local concerns acquire disproportionate clout when the electoral verdict is not clear-cut.
- But the disadvantage to small-timers in the current system matters because getting a permit is the only way to access the dwindling number of sites in the Canadian Arctic with known or probable mineral deposits.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.