- Unimportant; minor: a small-time gangsterMore example sentences
- The crooks range from small-time gangsters to big-time drug traffickers and international terrorists.
- Ten years later, Rikidozan was killed by a small-time gangster, with a tanto, in a bar.
- But Michael Rebell was never the small-time lawyer, with only a desk and a shingle, that some made him out to be.
- More example sentences
- Large businesses don't care so much about regulation - medium-large ones can eat the cost, supersized ones can finagle the regs so that the rules actually favor them - but small-timers have neither money nor pull.
- Whatever the proximate causes in such situations, fundamentally the problem is that small-timers with their local concerns acquire disproportionate clout when the electoral verdict is not clear-cut.
- But the disadvantage to small-timers in the current system matters because getting a permit is the only way to access the dwindling number of sites in the Canadian Arctic with known or probable mineral deposits.