Definition of smallholding in English:
1.1The practice of farming a smallholding: cooperation with neighbors is the key to successful smallholding
More example sentences
- The book which arose from the author's series on TV that touches on living in the country, cookery, self-sufficiency, food gathering and smallholding.
- By the 1980s unemployment and poverty could no longer be externalized to the homelands, and remnant smallholding could no longer give a majority of African people either significant income or social support.
- She's going to interview us for a programme about smallholding to be broadcast on Saturday 27th August (you can also listen on line, live and after the event).
- Example sentences
- More than 60 per cent of farmers in Zambia are smallholder or peasant farmers who depend largely on rain-fed agriculture.
- It is at this point that we see the emergence of the yeoman farmer: a peasant smallholder with up to 100 acres of land.
- Once a food exporter, Malawi is now a net importer: persistent drought is a factor but so too are cuts in farming subsidies and smallholders switching to cash crops like tobacco.
Words that rhyme with smallholdingroadholding
Definition of smallholding in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia