verb[with object] (often as noun smelting)
1Extract (metal) from its ore by a process involving heating and melting: tin smelting
More example sentences
- Through a back door, Jinx could see a small clearing, the middle of which was clear of snow surrounding a pit in the ground - evidently Rob's metalworking needs could be addressed by smelting metal in an earth-pit.
- Iron was smelted, converted to steel, and subsequently rolled or forged to meet the demands of both domestic and international industrial markets.
- The deforestation was especially expensive to the Norse Greenlanders because they required charcoal in order to smelt iron to extract iron from bogs.
1.1Extract a metal from (ore) by smelting.
- They were made by the labour of men who won iron ore and coal; who turned the coal into coke; who smelted the ore; who fashioned the crude ingots of metal into engines; and so on.
- At Swansea, the ore was smelted using huge quantities of cheap coal, producing a poisoned landscape.
- More than thirty-four years after its discovery some sixty miners were employed raising the ore while above ground thousands of tons of old tailigs and ore were smelted.
Words that rhyme with smeltbelt, Celt, dealt, dwelt, felt, gelt, knelt, melt, misdealt, pelt, Scheldt, spelt, svelte, veld, welt
noun (plural same or smeltssmelts)
A small silvery fish that lives in both marine and fresh water and is sometimes fished commercially, in particular.
- ● A fish of the northern hemisphere (family Osmeridae: Osmerus and other genera). ● A fish of Australasian waters (family Retropinnidae: several genera).
- Larger salmon eat a variety of fishes such as herring and alewives, smelts, capelin, small mackerel, sand lace, and small cod.
- The Brown Pelican's diet consists almost entirely of fish such as smelt and anchovies.
- You can find whole fresh smelts at the market, and you typically cook them whole.
Old English; obscurely related to various European names of fish; compare with smolt.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan