Definition of smoke screen in English:
1A cloud of smoke created to conceal military operations.
- Desultory firing continued for two days amid fog, smokescreens, and increasing confusion, before the operation was eventually abandoned.
- Wing Commander Frank Brock, a director of the company, used his background and passion for explosives and incendiaries to develop a smokescreen to conceal battleships at sea.
- We use them [white phosphorus munitions] primarily as obscurants, for smokescreens or target marking in some cases.
1.1A ruse designed to disguise someone’s real intentions or activities: he tried to create a smokescreen by quibbling about the statistics
More example sentences
- It's just hard to sort out the real issues from the smokescreens as the rhetoric heats up this election year.
- Hague last night insisted that he would not be silenced by accusations of racism, which he said were designed as a smokescreen to hide Labour's problems over asylum.
- Behind a smokescreen of good intentions, the project continues.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.