Definition of snailfish in English:
noun (plural same or snailfishes)
A small fish of cool or cold seas, with loose jellylike skin and typically a ventral sucker. Also called sea snail.
- Liparis and other genera, family Cyclopteridae: several species, including L. liparis of the North Atlantic
- In these extreme northern latitudes of Baffin Bay, bycatch consisted primarily of gelatinous snailfish, Arctic skate, and four-beard rockling.
- Liparid snailfish in the genus Careproctus extrude eggs through an anteriorly positioned ovipositor into the branchial chambers of large lithodid crabs.
- This showy snailfish lacks the purple stripes displayed by other specimens.
Definition of snailfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.