Definition of snailfish in English:
noun (plural same or snailfishes)
A small fish of cool or cold seas, with loose jellylike skin and typically a ventral sucker. Also called sea snail.
- Liparis and other genera, family Cyclopteridae: several species, including L. liparis of the North Atlantic
- In these extreme northern latitudes of Baffin Bay, bycatch consisted primarily of gelatinous snailfish, Arctic skate, and four-beard rockling.
- Liparid snailfish in the genus Careproctus extrude eggs through an anteriorly positioned ovipositor into the branchial chambers of large lithodid crabs.
- This showy snailfish lacks the purple stripes displayed by other specimens.
Definition of snailfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan