Definition of snake eyes in English:
plural noun[treated as singular] North American informal
1A throw of two ones with a pair of dice.
- If a player now rolls snake eyes, then that player is ‘entitled’ to lose a turn.
- Would you please advise me what the probability is of rolling snake eyes on a pair of dice is?
- The term snake eyes is the outcome of rolling the dice in a game of craps and getting only one pip on each die.
1.1The worst possible result; a complete lack of success: his elegant, amusing book sadly came up snake eyes
More example sentences
- The two Alexandres initially sought out a larger, industrial space, but what with zoning laws and such, they came up snake eyes.
- I looked for Michael Bay's name on the credits but came up snake eyes.
- His attempts come up snake eyes - maybe it's just me, but I can't stand Thomas' overwrought acting style (he seems to play everything as if he's working on a community college production).
Definition of snake eyes in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India