Definition of snake fly in English:
A slender woodland insect with transparent wings and a long “neck” that allows the head to be raised above the body.
- Family Raphidiidae, order Neuroptera: Raphidia and other genera
- Some other desert insects we've come across include the ant-lion, darkling beetle, velvet-ant and snake fly.
- The Neuroptera are divided into two sub-orders, snake flies and alder flies are in the sub-order Megaloptera, and lacewings and ant lions are in the sub-order Planipennia.
- Considered by some scientists to be a suborder within Neuroptera, snake flies (also called camel-neck flies) are amongst the most primitive of insects, probably arising as early as 300 million years ago.
Definition of snake fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.