noun• informal , chiefly North American
- 1A substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.More example sentences
- Ever since, unwary Americans have spent untold billions on contemporary versions of snake oil, some of which, like ephedra, have turned out to have few if any benefits and to pose real dangers.
- Maybe his private chemist cooked up an elixir of bathtub gin, snake oil and Smith Brothers cough drops.
- We need good medicine, not more jokey formulas for snake oil.
More definitions of snake oilDefinition of snake oil in:
- The British & World English dictionary