Definition of snap-action in English:
1Denoting a switch or relay that makes and breaks contact rapidly, whatever the speed of the activating mechanism.
- When the gate switches between its two states, it does so abruptly, like a snap-action light switch.
- The snap-action switching element is operated via plungers which act on the outer limbs of the spring.
- With multiple options available for contact configurations, terminals and actuators, you can configure a Cherry miniature snap-action switch to fit nearly any size and electrical requirements.
2Denoting a gun whose hinged barrel is secured by a spring catch.
- The ejector is operated by the rotation of the joint-check, and allows the shells to be pressed clean home, if preferred. These guns, I understand, will be on the market in a short time, and I believe today no stronger fastening can be made on any snap-action gun.
noun(snap action) Back to top
The operation of a snap-action switch, relay, or gun.
- When the preset differential limit is reached, the valve closes with a ‘snap action’ for a tight seal.
- The snap action of the bimetal disc provides high-speed contact separation resulting in excellent life cycle characteristics at electrical loads up to 15 amps at 120VAC and 10 amps at 250VAC.
- This "safe" condition allows for a couple of tooling iterations of the latch, until the snap action is considered acceptable.
Definition of snap-action in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.