Definition of sneer in English:
A contemptuous or mocking smile, remark, or tone: he acknowledged their presence with a condescending sneer
More example sentences
- And so I thought that the massive sneer with which his remarks were greeted was unjustified.
- They'll have to put up with our weapon of choice: the condescending sneer.
- I was instantly flanked by two guards with a countenance of half sneers, half smiles on their faces.
verb[no object] Back to top
Smile or speak in a contemptuous or mocking manner: she had sneered at their bad taste [with direct speech]: “I see you’re conservative in your ways,” David sneered
More example sentences
- He was contemptuous and sneering in pointing out that we were in the wrong carriage.
- The people sneered and mocked me as I descended down the stairs.
- He smiled and she sneered at him, then took a sip of coffee and returned to poking her eggs.
Late Middle English: probably of imitative origin.
- Example sentences
- Indeed if the sneerers looked hard enough they would see that we are not the only ones that do not define our interests exclusively in regional terms.
- Well, I can assure the snipers and sneerers that I have been consistent.
- With a sneer in his voice that must have impressed even the great sneerer himself, the health secretary seized the moral high-ground as he insisted he would not rise to the bait.
Words that rhyme with sneeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan