Definition of sneezeweed in English:
A yellow-flowered North American plant of the daisy family, with turned-back rays and a globular disk. Some kinds are toxic to grazing animals and some are used medicinally, especially by American Indians, in the treatment of colds.
- Genus Helenium, family Compositae: several species, including H. autumnale
- In September and October, purple hardy asters, backed with golden sneezeweed and ‘Taiyo’ sunflowers, create a dazzling picture.
- Some other wildflowers are white-flowered bog orchid, California grass-of-Parnassus, Sierra gentian, Plumas alpine aster, western sneezeweed, and the highly toxic western water hemlock.
- One vulnerable species, a plant called the Virginia sneezeweed, was known only from Virginia until a population was discovered in Missouri in 1960.
Definition of sneezeweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan