Definition of snigger in English:
A smothered or half-suppressed laugh.
- This version is puerile, including jokes that could hardly have raised a snigger when first heard and turns of speech abandoned for over a generation.
- Having been a dedicated smoker for many years now, I was headed downstairs for a cigarette, when I heard quiet sniggers in the stairwell.
- The other girls on the team just stare at me, while I hear a deep snigger somewhere in the background.
verb[no object] Back to top
Give a smothered or half-suppressed laugh: the boys at school were sure to snigger at him behind his back [with direct speech]: “Doesn’t he look like a fool?” they sniggered
More example sentences
- Felicity took one look at old Mrs. Briney and burst out laughing, sniggering and pointing at her.
- His friends sniggered with disbelief when he said was no longer using any drugs at all.
- So I turned around to see all of Conners friends pointing and sniggering at me.
Early 18th century: later variant of snicker.
- Example sentences
- We are great spontaneous sniggerers and we can do it in unison without any prompting from one another.
- I'll have you sniggerers know that as well as being a churchgoer, this chap was a very good rugby player.
- A snorter is a snob expressing their disapproval, while a sniggerer is insensitive, unsympathetic and immature.
- Example sentences
- The vision of sexuality is sniggeringly salacious, redolent with fantasies of male power and female submission.
- Those involved in racketeering, corruption and bribery should not be lionised, praised or sniggeringly regarded.
- The narratorial presence sniggeringly indicates that the reader might be allowed to rewrite and reformulate the poem.
Words that rhyme with sniggerchigger, configure, figure, Frigga, jigger, ligger, rigger, rigor, rigour, swigger, transfigure, trigger, vigour (US vigor)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan