Definition of snipe eel in English:
A slender marine eel with a long, thin, beaklike snout, typically occurring in deep water.
- Family Nemichthyidae: several genera and species
- The presence of large numbers of zooplankton attracts their natural predators such as mictophids, jellyfish and snipe eels, which are often found in large abundance in the deep net tows.
- Only five true eels are known from the Gulf of Maine: the common eel, the slime eel, the conger, the snipe eel, and the snake eel, which fall into five different families according to American usage.
- These covered a wide range of species, with special emphasis on four species of hatchetfish, several stomiids, bigscales, snipe eels and gulper eels.
Definition of snipe eel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.