Definition of snow bunting in English:
A northern bunting that breeds mainly in the Arctic, the male having white plumage with a black back in the breeding season.
- Plectrophenax nivalis, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- Visit the famous Scottish Highlands during springtime and you may spot the capercaillie, Scottish crossbill, crested tit, black and red grouse, snow bunting and ptarmigan, golden eagle, and breeding osprey.
- Songbirds also live here, including the snow bunting, raven, American tree sparrow, and hoary redpoll.
- Small numbers of the Arctic snow bunting are sometimes seen in the North-West during winter, but the bird is more familiar to the east coast of Britain and in coastal north-western Europe.
Definition of snow bunting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan