Definition of snow flea in English:
Either of two small insects that appear on or near snow in northern regions or on mountains.
- ● A springtail that often swarms on snow, making it appear black (family Isotomidae, including the Alpine Isotoma saltans and the North American Hypogastrura nivicola). ● A small flightless scorpionfly that feeds on mosses (family Boreidae, including the Eurasian Boreus hyemalis).
- The scientists isolated the gene for green opsins from 11 species of scorpionflies, snow fleas, and true fleas.
- Scientists have discovered new secrets from a tiny snow flea that can survive in freezing conditions.
- Some people become worried by the vast numbers of snow fleas and their sudden appearance on the ground.
Definition of snow flea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan