Definition of snow flea in English:
Either of two small insects that appear on or near snow in northern regions or on mountains.
- ● A springtail that often swarms on snow, making it appear black (family Isotomidae, including the Alpine Isotoma saltans and the North American Hypogastrura nivicola). ● A small flightless scorpionfly that feeds on mosses (family Boreidae, including the Eurasian Boreus hyemalis).
- The scientists isolated the gene for green opsins from 11 species of scorpionflies, snow fleas, and true fleas.
- Scientists have discovered new secrets from a tiny snow flea that can survive in freezing conditions.
- Some people become worried by the vast numbers of snow fleas and their sudden appearance on the ground.
Definition of snow flea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.