Definition of snowflake in English:
1A flake of snow, especially a feathery ice crystal, typically displaying delicate sixfold symmetry.
- He watched the tiny snowflakes drift onto his black jean pants.
- They slowly walked down the road as the tiny white snowflakes fell lightly to the ground.
- Natalie loved the snow and she stood at her window watching the snowflakes fall.
2A white-flowered Eurasian plant related to and resembling the snowdrop, typically blooming in the summer or autumn.
- Genus Leucojum, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
- The summer snowflake also belongs to this group of taller plants.
- In between the hellebores we have planted Leucojum aestivum, the summer snowflake.
- Summer flowering plants are indicated by the Latin name aestate; there's Leucojum aestivum, the summer snowflake, and Adonis aestivalis from the buttercup family.
Definition of snowflake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.