- 1A substance used with water for washing and cleaning, made of a compound of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali, and typically having perfume and coloring added: a bar of soapMore example sentences
- When you're ready to make the jam, rinse and clean your jars with soap and water and a sponge.
- Clean the tools with soap and water and throw away all the scrap wallpaper.
- The paint is baked on for durability and these benches can easily be cleaned with soap and water.
- 2 • informal A soap opera: the soaps are at the top of the ratingsMore example sentences
- This surprise declaration was so stunning that local New York television stations broke into their regular broadcasts of soaps and talk shows.
- Prime-time soaps were tops among viewers, and gone were the anthology series and variety shows, with comedies taking a back seat to the soap craze.
- Such was the importance of passing on the message, it was considered acceptable to break in to popular programs such as soaps and not wait for the next commercial break or for the end of the show.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Wash with soap: she soaped her faceMore example sentences
- That suggestion did please Howard who went quickly to stand under the shower, soaping himself up with lots of hot water.
- It shows a pair of army boots, a discarded uniform, a broad, suntanned face and an arm carelessly soaping a back.
- After scratching the hell out of one of my arms while I soaped him and rinsed him, he then went absolutely hog wild drying himself in a towel.
- North American • informal Used to convey that there is no chance of something happening or occurring: They needed a writer with some enthusiasm. No soapMore example sentences
- He is as dialed-back here as I've ever seen him - I kept waiting for one of his typical over-the-top explosions, but no soap.
- I've tried suggesting things that the three of us would enjoy doing together, but no soap.
- Nice try, but no soap, Fred is still my candidate of choice.
- More example sentences
- Lets face it - a soapless existence is something that is very hard to imagine.
- They released their new soapless washing machine on August 1.
- It is a mild soapless shampoo indicated for persons with sensitive skin.
Old English sāpe; related to Dutch zeep and German Seife. The verb dates from the mid 16th century.