Definition of social gospel in English:
Christian faith practiced as a call not just to personal conversion but to social reform.
- They believed, as I believed for 30 years, that the social gospel of our Christian faith was best reflected politically in the policies of that party.
- The anti-slavery movement and Christian socialism, Roman Catholic social teaching and the Protestant social gospel have all combined to focus attention on the need to treat workers appropriately.
- Can the social gospel of the Catholic faith be boiled down to this one issue?
social gospeler noun
- Example sentences
- The crux of his argument is that the social ethics espoused by social gospellers, Christian realists and Catholic bishops are all rooted in liberalism and its belief in progress.
- Most Canadian social gospellers took World War One as one more part of the great crusade for reforming the world.
- He was an active social gospeller and advocate of temperance, and he became senior Protestant chaplain to the Canadian forces during WWI.
Definition of social gospel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan