Definition of sodden in English:
1Saturated with liquid, especially water; soaked through: his clothes were sodden
More example sentences
- Dew soaked grass and rain sodden leaves stubbornly refuse to give up their moisture, allowing the walker to squelch his way across the murky landscape.
- Pink streamers swirled from my sodden jeans, tendrils of crimson whipping off into the water burbling around my boots.
- After six hours the pump had done its job, and there was a slushy sodden mass of tree-seeds and brackish water, and the pump was making a sound like a Jarvik heart filled with oatmeal.
verb[with object] archaic Back to top
Saturate (something) with water.
- River and watercourse levels rocketed which led to homes and businesses being soddened, 15 schools closed and the emergency services at full stretch.
- Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire.
- If the fish be a little more than half covered with water, and gradually brought to boil, then well covered down with your sauce-pan lid, and boiled gently till done, it will eat much richer, have a finer flavor, and be more firm than if cooked the old way, or rather drowned in water, which only soddens fish, and takes away the fine firmness so much prized.
Middle English (in the sense 'boiled, cooked by boiling'): archaic past participle of seethe.
- Example sentences
- Actually, despite its soddenly melodramatic moments, a lot of About a Boy is quite funny.
- The 11 tracks on his 12 th album plod soddenly, leaden of pace and bleak of atmosphere.
- In the 15th round the next day, before 16,000 unbelieving customers, Jim Jeffries sank soddenly to the canvas, his once awesome right draped over the lower rope of the ring.
- Example sentences
- A woman next to me said, ‘I love its soddenness, its mundanity.
- Turning soddenness into a virtue, the plan would channel water into dozens of brooks and reflecting pools, waterfalls and wetlands.
- In the monsoon's soddenness, often it's hard to drink enough water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan