Definition of softwood in English:
1The wood from a conifer (such as pine, fir, or spruce) as distinguished from that of broadleaved trees.
- The two basic categories of wood used most often in woodworking projects are hardwood and softwood.
- It's not the best place to look for sawlogs, so we're trying to send the processor in first to make sawlogs where they can from both hardwood and softwood.
- All types of lumber, both hardwood and softwood, are sorted by quality during the milling process.
1.1A tree producing softwood.
- In the areas where, as a result of selecting other more valuable softwoods, fir was encouraged to increase, all practicable efforts should be made to reduce the amount of fir.
- PCP was widely used in the timber industry for years as a cheap treatment for sapstain, a fungal infection commonly found in softwoods such as pine.
- Plantations of introduced softwoods, particularly Radiata Pine, were established, often on abandoned agricultural land.
2(In gardening) young pliable growth on shrubs and other plants from which cuttings can be taken.
- Unlike softwood cuttings of deciduous plants, where you only take tip cuttings from the ends of the branches, that rule does not apply to hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants.
- Or you can root 4-to 6-inch softwood cuttings taken in summer and fall.
- While blueberries are propagated commercially by tissue culture, they can be propagated by hardwood or softwood cuttings.
Definition of softwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan