noun[usually treated as singular]
- The branch of science concerned with the properties and behavior of soil as they affect its use in civil engineering.More example sentences
- In this work, the percolation approach is used for explaining the behavior phenomenon of soil consolidation, one of the many phenomena encountered in soil mechanics.
- Work was under the supervision of Dr. E. Farrell, Senior Lecturer in soil mechanics and hydraulics at the University of Dublin.
- It's actually the cradle of soil mechanics and foundation engineering in many respects with some of the older structures in that city, dating back to the 19th century.
More definitions of soil mechanicsDefinition of soil mechanics in:
- The British & World English dictionary