Definition of solenodon in English:
A forest-dwelling mammal with a long flexible snout and a stiff muscular tail, occurring only in Cuba and Hispaniola.
- Family Solenodontidae and genus Solenodon: two species
- In addition to the solenodon, the only mammals that use venom today are the North American short-tailed shrew, the Eurasian water shrew, and the Australian duck-billed platypus.
- The main prey of solenodons is animals (including insects), but they sometimes eat plant material as well.
- Both species (Solenodon paradoxus and Solenodon cubanus) of the solenodon of the West Indies also are poisonous.
Definition of solenodon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan