Definition of solenodon in English:
A forest-dwelling mammal with a long flexible snout and a stiff muscular tail, occurring only in Cuba and Hispaniola.
- Family Solenodontidae and genus Solenodon: two species
- In addition to the solenodon, the only mammals that use venom today are the North American short-tailed shrew, the Eurasian water shrew, and the Australian duck-billed platypus.
- The main prey of solenodons is animals (including insects), but they sometimes eat plant material as well.
- Both species (Solenodon paradoxus and Solenodon cubanus) of the solenodon of the West Indies also are poisonous.
Definition of solenodon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.