- A volcanic crater emitting only sulfurous and other gases.More example sentences
- Most of the mountains are clastic stratovolcanic sediments (ashes and tuff), and the abundant solfataras and fumaroles, many of which are still active, are the last phases of the volcanism.
- Other solfataras and fumaroles have produced a plethora of sulfates, and it is plausible that additional sulfates occur at El Desierto.
- In contrast to P. capillare, no D. lanuginosum plants were observed outside of active solfataras.
late 18th century: from the name of a volcano near Naples, from Italian solfo 'sulfur'.
More definitions of solfataraDefinition of solfatara in:
- The British & World English dictionary