1Relating to the body, especially as distinct from the mind.
- In the present study, we examined gender differences in somatic symptoms at a mind/body outpatient clinic.
- Such patients' insistence that the physician pursue somatic symptoms until a medical diagnosis is obtained can be significantly frustrating.
- Do patients with unexplained physical symptoms pressurise general practitioners for somatic treatment?
1.1 Biology Relating to the soma.
- Transgenic mouse modelling has provided a new approach to study the various steps involved in spontaneous and induced mutagenesis in rodent somatic and germline tissues in vivo.
- Heterotrophic organisms must acquire nutrients to maintain somatic and gametic function.
- Interspecific heteroplasmic mice were also produced by microinjection of somatic mitochondria into pronucleus-stage embryos.
- Example sentences
- In this way, we confirmed that epigenetic and second-site suppression of hcf 106 could be separated somatically.
- Sometimes those communications and exchanges take place somatically, occurring at levels upon which we do not or cannot reflect.
- This pattern holds for both germline and somatically expressed genes.
Late 18th century: from Greek sōmatikos, from sōma 'body'.
Words that rhyme with somaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Definition of somatic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.