Definition of somatotype in English:
A category to which people are assigned according to the extent to which their bodily physique conforms to a basic type (usually endomorphic, mesomorphic, or ectomorphic).
- There are three widely accepted physique categories called somatotypes: endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph.
- Likewise, knowing your somatotype won't carry you much further than ‘I struggle to gain weight,’ ‘I get fat easily,’ or ‘I can't complain.’
- Boys were matched to another of similar age, social background, temperament, and biological somatotype, then randomly assigned either to the program or to the control group.
1940s: coined by W. H. Sheldon in Varieties of Human Physique.
- Example sentences
- In other somatotyping literature we find a wide variety of use being made of Sheldon's formulations.
- Rather, he called his system body-typing, not somatotyping, and he did not use Sheldon's terms.
- He unleashed a science referred to as somatotyping which attempts to categorize people by their genetic body types.
Definition of somatotype in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan