- 1Having a gently calming effect: she put on some soothing musicMore example sentences
- The lush green of post monsoons was soothing to the eyes.
- The relaxing sound of the water was more soothing than a new age meditation tape.
- Nothing, you think, could be more soothing than a warm spring day in a peaceful city.
- 1.1Reducing pain or discomfort: almond oil is renowned for its soothing propertiesMore example sentences
- For coughs, tea made with sage or thyme can be soothing.
- Lotions with peppermint oil can be especially soothing to tired feet.
- Some of the old Turkish bath houses are still operating and are as aesthetically pleasing as they are physically soothing.
- More example sentences
- It features over 90 tanks packed with exotic fish, flora and fauna which exist in a soothingly silent world.
- Too much has been made of differences between Washington and other nations, he says soothingly.
- The effect is soothingly rustic, yet the flat is bang in the middle of Stockholm.