- 1A North American desert plant of the agave family, with spiny-edged leaves and small white flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Dasylirion, family Agavaceae: several species, including smooth-leaf sotol (D. leiophyllum)
- Bleached stalks of agave and sotol pierce the cloudless blue sky.
- The sugary trunks and leaf bases of Wheeler sotol have been used to feed cattle during droughts.
- The snow over the desert clarified both the colors and the forms of its plants - Mormon tea, sotol, lechuguilla, leatherstem, acacias - and the hard frost retained the tracks of javelina.
- 1.1An alcoholic drink made from the sap of the sotol.More example sentences
- Although the process is similar to that used for mezcal, sotol is not a mezcal, since it is not made from agave.
- Rattlesnake, having skin and head and tail removed, is fermented in sotol for serious foot infections.
- Like its cousins, Tequila and Mezcal, Sotol has its own denomination of origin.
late 19th century: via American Spanish from Nahuatl tzotolli.
More definitions of sotolDefinition of sotol in:
- The British & World English dictionary