Definition of sourwood in English:
A North American tree of the heath family with sour-tasting leaves. Most common in the southeastern US, it has drooping clusters of white bell-like flowers in early summer and bright red foliage in autumn. Also called sorrel tree.
- Oxydendrum arboreum, family Ericaceae
- Eighty new trees will be planted, Kousa dogwood, Eastern redbud, downy serviceberry, sourwood, Yoshino cherry, and tulip poplar among them.
- I had gone to Hoyt to see a sourwood tree, which I was told I would find on the Wildwood Trail.
- Associated species were pignut and mockernut, hickories, black gum, red maple, sassafras, sourwood, and white ash.
Definition of sourwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia