- A left-handed person, especially a boxer who leads with the right hand or a baseball pitcher.More example sentences
- Fighting from the left-handed southpaw stance, Magee's slashing left hands and jabs kept Hatton off balance for the majority of the opening stages.
- Spinks is going to cause problems for any fighter he faces because of his southpaw stance and elusive style.
- In the second round, Simms switched to a southpaw stance, which paid quick dividends.
mid 19th century (denoting the left hand or a punch with the left hand): the usage in baseball is perhaps from the orientation of early baseball fields to the same points of the compass, such that the pitcher's left arm was on the “south” side of his body.
More definitions of southpawDefinition of southpaw in:
- The British & World English dictionary