A plump, short-legged burrowing toad with a prominent sharp-edged tubercle on the hind feet, native to North America and Europe.
- Family Pelobatidae: several genera, including Scaphiophus (of America) and Pelobates (of Europe), and several species, in particular P. fuscus
More example sentences
- The toad doesn't really need us to make him a home, both the spadefoot and Colorado river toad can excavate burrows almost three feet deep.
- Tadpoles of both Couch's spadefoot toad and the Western spadefoot toad accelerate metamorphosis in response to pond drying.
- Female spadefoots have ample opportunity to choose mates and can use male call features to assess species identity and quality of potential mates.
Definition of spadefoot toad in:
- The British & World English dictionary