- 1Shine brightly with flashes of light: her earrings sparkled as she turned her headMore example sentences
- Her golden hair glistened in the sun, her light blue eyes sparkling brightly.
- Her light skin sparkled and shined from the sun tan lotion she was wearing.
- His dark blue eyes sparkled when the light hit them and his hair was damp and stuck to his face.
nounBack to top
- 1A glittering flash of light: there was a sparkle in his eyesMore example sentences
- The girl had bright pink hair that dully caught the light, reflecting a million glittering sparkles.
- Glittering jewels and sparkles decorated the front of the dress and contrasted the red ruby that hung against her neck.
- The room is gold and sparkles in the soft light of candles and electricity.
- 2Vivacity and wit: she’s got a kind of sparkleMore example sentences
- His cricket and his personality were marked by charm and sparkle.
- The entire performance was imbued with sparkle and élan.
- She was tiny, pretty, and vivacious, her sparkle compensating for a lack of education.
- More example sentences
- She wore sparkly gold flats that matched the gold stripes on the tie.
- Just as she pulled her hair back and pinned it in place with her favorite sparkly hairpin, the doorbell rang.
- He held something sparkly in his mouth and placed in front of the rabbit.
Middle English: frequentative (verb) or diminutive (noun) of spark1.