Definition of specialist in English:
1A person who concentrates primarily on a particular subject or activity; a person highly skilled in a specific and restricted field.
- The law firm was a leading specialist in the new field of information technology.
- Andrew is a specialist in the field who.
- A prerequisite to serving as an expert witness is being qualified and credentialed as a specialist in the field being examined.
1.1A physician highly trained in a particular branch of medicine.
- Now more than ever, there is substantial crossover among dentists and other medical specialists in diagnosing various health conditions.
- The world's first formal program to train medical specialists, opened in 1915.
- They are now seeking to appoint a medical specialist through Health Services Australia.
1.2(In the US Army) an enlisted person of one of four grades ( specialist 4, equivalent to the rank of corporal, being the most junior, specialist 7, equivalent to sergeant first class, being the most senior) who has technical or administrative duties but does not exercise command.
- The former Army specialist wanted a house in the same neighborhood so the children would not be uprooted again, but the house also needed to be affordable.
- Her son, an Army specialist, was killed there last year.
adjectiveBack to top
1Possessing or involving detailed knowledge or study of a restricted topic: the project may involve people with specialist knowledge
More example sentences
- Success here is limited, as highly specialist niche knowledge is generally required.
- You need an amount of specialist knowledge.
- Murphy has specialist knowledge of the historical period in which the book is set.
1.1 [attributive] Concentrating on a restricted field, market, or area of activity: a specialist electrical shop
More example sentences
- Employers in the financial services sector are slow to recruit marketing candidates from outside their own specialist field.
- Not long ago, technology recruitment was one of the most active, and profitable, specialist areas within the Irish recruitment market.
- Many wine shops reflect glory in some specialist area.
- Example sentences
- We will offer three new specialisms: engineering, science, business & enterprise.
- Having mastered the basics, some engineers follow their interests into specialisms to act as sources of expertise in that area.
- Prison healthcare services are undoubtedly served by highly committed professionals from different specialisms, professions, and agencies.
Words that rhyme with specialistsubstantialist
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.