Definition of speciation in English:
The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.
- Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.
- We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.
- The creation of a new species is known as speciation.
- Example sentences
- Theory predicts that in rapidly speciating taxa gene genealogies will vary between loci.
- The organisms were identified and speciated based on colony morphology and biochemical reactions.
- Certain animals can speciate in under 10 millennia.
Pronunciation: /ˈspēSHēˌāt, spēsē-/verb
Definition of speciation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan