(also spectral class)
- The group in which a star is classified according to its spectrum, especially using the Harvard classification.More example sentences
- Such an association is named ‘OB’ because these stars have O and B spectral types.
- Fomalhaut is only moderately Sun-like; its spectral class is A 3 Va, it's 1.7 times the Sun's diameter, has 2.3 times its mass, and is 13 times as bright.
- Suppose we wanted to find one like the Sun: say, between spectral types F5 and K5, not part of a double or multiple system, and at least a billion years old (to let things settle down a bit).
More definitions of spectral typeDefinition of spectral type in:
- The British & World English dictionary