- Dr. Penney, in his evidence, speculated that the error was a typographical one.
- Researchers speculated that organically grown plants are subject to more environmental challenges and therefore have stronger antioxidant defenses.
- Some speculated that it was, because there was limited evidence that another race had existed there once.
- A hedge fund borrows money to speculate in the stock market.
- Large capitalists can invest in government bonds, or they can speculate in stocks and commodities whose price is soaring due to the inflation.
- Amidst his wife and the other two techies, he has no interest in this new technology, happier taking walks in the quarry by a ruined church than speculating on internet stocks.
Late 16th century: from Latin speculat- 'observed from a vantage point', from the verb speculari, from specula 'watchtower', from specere 'to look'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.