Definition of speculative in English:
1Engaged in, expressing, or based on conjecture rather than knowledge: discussion of the question is largely speculative
More example sentences
- Concerns about widespread inaccuracies in online health information are speculative and intuitive rather than based on robust research.
- They are entirely guesswork, speculative and based on unsound mathematics designed to promote the private healthcare system.
- Atwood uses the term speculative fiction rather than science fiction.
2(Of an investment) involving a high risk of loss.
- Regulators fear that informal lending is fueling speculative investment in real estate and other sectors.
- Investment is highly speculative, in that bankable reserves have not yet been identified.
- A senior banker who did not wish to be named said there was no need to impose any additional controls on loans for speculative investments as would be needed for other kinds of investment.
2.1(Of a business venture) undertaken on the chance of success, without a preexisting contract.
- ‘The days of ITspending on speculative ventures is gone,’ he said.
- This enabled them to invest in major infrastructure projects as well as more speculative ventures.
- You too should stick with the well-worn franchise instead of the speculative venture.
- Example sentences
- Vernon said the amount of suburban office space being built speculatively is likely to decrease in the coming months as global economic growth slows.
- However the reluctance of developers to speculatively build and their ability to hold has prevented a significant decrease in value.
- Anyone writing speculatively about a future society must deal with the problem of work.
- Example sentences
- His stories enthralled her with their ‘mixture of speculativeness, fantasy and gloominess.’
- He is careful throughout to acknowledge the speculativeness of his hypotheses.
- Under the common-law rule, therefore, the crucial point is not the certainty or speculativeness of the wife's interest, but rather the precise word choices made by the drafter of the trust document.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.