Definition of speedway in English:
1A stadium or track used for automobile or motorcycle racing.
- Earlier this year, residents in Kearsley protested over off-road bikers using towpaths as a speedway.
1.1A highway for fast motor traffic.
- After a few phone calls in Spanish (I did not understand a word), we finally made it to the right speedway, called a freeway in LA, with great help from our small map.
- So as you would expect, nobody obeys this law, like nobody goes 65 MPH on our six lane interstate speedways.
1.2British A form of motorcycle racing on an oval dirt track, typically in a stadium.
- When I used to race for Southampton in speedway my number was always seven.
- Inside Out also follows the Workington Comets, a second division speedway team that has one of the highest followings in speedway despite not even being top of their league.
- For us, speedway may be the sport of hard nuts, but for the ice-racers of Sweden, Finland and Russia it is the sport of chickens.
Definition of speedway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.