Definition of sphagnum in English:
A plant of a genus that comprises the peat mosses.
- Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae
- Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.
- Most peat is made up of peat moss, or sphagnum, but it often includes other kinds of vegetation, such as trees and even animal remains.
- Moss, specifically sphagnum, is the lifeblood of any bog.
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek sphagnos, denoting a kind of moss.
Definition of sphagnum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.