- A plant of a genus that comprises the peat mosses.
More example sentences
- Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae
- Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.
- Most peat is made up of peat moss, or sphagnum, but it often includes other kinds of vegetation, such as trees and even animal remains.
- Moss, specifically sphagnum, is the lifeblood of any bog.
mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek sphagnos, denoting a kind of moss.
More definitions of sphagnumDefinition of sphagnum in:
- The British & World English dictionary