A small spheroidal mass of crystals (especially of a mineral) grouped radially around a point.
- Although they lack the fibrous, radiating crystals that conform to the traditional definition of a spherulite, their cores show a crystal size and density somewhat higher than that of the surrounding rhyolite shell.
- In the absence of salt, the spherulite kinetic assay suggests the presence of spherulites from ~ 40 to 45 min.
- Under the polarized light microscope, addition of a full waveplate to the optical set-up showed that spherulites grown in the absence or presence of salt contain radially oriented amyloid fibrils.
- Example sentences
- Their study of whole-rock chemistry has shown somewhat higher silica contents of the spherulitic structures as compared to the host rhyolite glass.
- They typically grow in two-dimensional fanlike and spherulitic arrays.
- Besides, the aragonitic shell is made up of two oriented layers: an irregular spherulitic prismatic layer and a fine complex crossed lamellar layer.
Definition of spherulite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.