Definition of spherulite in English:
A small spheroidal mass of crystals (especially of a mineral) grouped radially around a point.
- Although they lack the fibrous, radiating crystals that conform to the traditional definition of a spherulite, their cores show a crystal size and density somewhat higher than that of the surrounding rhyolite shell.
- In the absence of salt, the spherulite kinetic assay suggests the presence of spherulites from ~ 40 to 45 min.
- Under the polarized light microscope, addition of a full waveplate to the optical set-up showed that spherulites grown in the absence or presence of salt contain radially oriented amyloid fibrils.
- Example sentences
- Their study of whole-rock chemistry has shown somewhat higher silica contents of the spherulitic structures as compared to the host rhyolite glass.
- They typically grow in two-dimensional fanlike and spherulitic arrays.
- Besides, the aragonitic shell is made up of two oriented layers: an irregular spherulitic prismatic layer and a fine complex crossed lamellar layer.
Pronunciation: /ˌsfi(ə)r(y)əˈlitik, ˌsfer-/adjective
Definition of spherulite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan