A lily that typically has long slender petals or elongated petallike parts around the flower.
- Hymenocallis and other genera, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
More example sentences
- Also called the red spider lily or red hurricane lily, it's topped with a complex, bright-red flower with many very long stamens.
- A favorite is Lycoris radiata, sometimes called fall spider lily, which produces crimson spidery umbels late August to October on 12-to 18-inch bloom stalks before the foliage appears.
- Fox was, for instance, planting 60 additional palm trees on Maya Beach for the benefit of the cameras, and bulldozing sand to widen the strip, and temporarily uprooting native spider lilies and grasses.
Definition of spider lily in:
- The British & World English dictionary