- An alloy of iron and manganese, used in steelmaking.More example sentences
- Realising the enormous value of his discovery he continued with his experiments to master the facts concerning spiegeleisen when alloyed in various ways.
- In 1904, Palmerton would begin producing spiegeleisen, taking advantage of the residuum from the zinc oxide furnaces.
- The quality of the steel produced would be poor if it absorbed too much oxygen and too little carbon so spiegeleisen, a triple compound of iron, manganese and carbon was added (manganese combines readily with oxygen).
mid 19th century: from German, from Spiegel 'mirror' + Eisen 'iron'.
More definitions of spiegeleisenDefinition of spiegeleisen in:
- The British & World English dictionary